September is Suicide Prevention Month 2018
Pensacola, Fla. (Sept. 4, 2018) – Suicide Prevention Month reminds us to pay our respects to anyone impacted by such a tragic loss or near loss. It’s also a time to help raise awareness about prevention. Recent statistics from 2016 compiled by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention command our attention:
· Suicides outnumber homicides. In 2016, there were 44,965 suicides and 19,362 persons died from homicides.
· Suicide is within the top 10 leading causes of U.S. deaths each year.
· Suicide is the second leading cause of death for U.S. persons ages 10 through 34.
Please know key resources to help prevent a tragedy:
· Emergency help: 911
· The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 800.273.TALK (8255)
· The National Suicide Prevention Crisis text: 741741
· Veteran's Crisis Line: 800.273.8255 and Press 1
· Lakeview Center's emergency services/screening: 850.380.0967
It’s important for a community to be aware of these resources to save lives. Our Victim Services Team can help and we encourage you to learn more about how to support suicide prevention awareness at CDC.gov and SuicidePreventionLifeline.org. Learn about comprehensive resources available locally through Lakeview Center on this website.