10 Tips for Stress Reduction
You can’t eliminate stress from your life, but you can control your response to it. Try these tips the next time you feel the weight of life pressing down on you. It just may help lift your mood.
Stress Reduction Tips:
- Remove yourself from the situation. Take a short walk or drink a glass of water to reboot your mind.
- Tidy up a bit. Organizing your environment can help you achieve an orderly mind and emotions.
- Try practicing the 4-7-8 breath. Inhale for 4 seconds. Hold it for 7 seconds. Exhale for 8 seconds.
- Take a few minutes to jot down the things that are stressing you. Seeing them as mere bullet points can help you think more clearly.
- Meditate. Meditation slows breathing, lowers blood pressure and activates calm feelings. An app can serve as a guide until you get the hang of it.
- Watch a comedy. Laughter is a great way to take your mind off your responsibilities. It really is the best medicine!
- Exercise even in short spurts. In as little as 10 minutes you could feel renewed.
- Recall three things for which you’re grateful. Readjusting your focus can improve your mood.
- Talk to a friend. Talking through a problem can make it seem less daunting.
- Light a fragrant candle. Scents such as lavender, lemon and jasmine might help alleviate tension.
If stress persists, you might consider seeing a mental health counselor. There is no secret door we can escape through to shut out problems. However, we can learn a few tricks to help us cope.